inspire me: museum mile

21.8.15

Back in June I got to go to the museum mile festival. It was free entry to many of the major players along this road and being the cheapo I am, I unashamedly went. Yesiree. I thought it would be a nice little tour around those parts but I came away imprinted by the feeling in the air and most importantly, the artwork I had laid eyes on for the first time.


Wondering around the Guggenheim, I saw artworks by some of the most famous artists in the world, for the first time ever. Van Gogh and Picasso. I know - What. A. Noob. But.. it got me. Visual art has always escaped me in that I couldn't ever understand what I was looking at (it turns out, it's abstract art I really don't get and to be honest, it kinda bothers me, hmm..). But these incredible, hand coloured paintings, are something else.  I still get tingly thinking about them. Maybe as someone with the skill level of just-being-able-to-colour-between-the-lines that painting and drawing is something I'm in awe of. But wow. I can't even choose the right words to pinpoint how provoking I think these are and I call myself a writer. But I'm glad I really understand the fuss and fame around painters such as these now, especially Picasso. The ability to tell layers and layers of a story, to create a mood with such depth and to communicate it all in a glance is so much heart and genius it hurts. New fangirl alert. 

peace sign,
maia

PS. Forgive me for my terrible photos, there is a bit of a no camera policy within the Guggenheim Museum so I had to do a quick sneaky at any moment when very few people were around. Pats self on the back, not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan