"daybreak"

4.7.15


ny, taken from brooklyn heights, 28-09-2014

I uploaded a song today. "Daybreak". Finally. While I might be tempted to whine about how long it surprisingly took to put the demo together, I'm happy that it's done and I'll free it from the egg I've kept it in for the past month.

I think I started writing Daybreak a year ago. It was one of those songs where the arrangement came really quickly, the melodies, the chords, the keys riff. I had the first verse written in that first moment with it, and I knew one of the main hooks was going to be "I'll be awake".

And then I was stuck. I carried this song everywhere with me (more like, on my phone - thankyou Evernote!) and every few weeks I was like, aha! This is what the song is about! To, what the frack were you thinking girl, that idea is terrible. The power of the mind to convince oneself eh?

I had my first solo overseas trip back in September last year and the anticipation I felt for it was enormous. America, where dreams are made of hey? I wanted to get out of my own little box and I knew there was just something about the land across the water that was going to change me.

So the night before my flight, I decided to stay up. I figured, hell I'll have 26 hours to sleep on the plane. I'll do that then. I remember chatting on facebook with my Seattle cousin at 4am and he was like, hang on, why are you messaging me right now?!

But that feeling of anticipation, that feeling of teetering on the edge is what this song became about. And I remember just feeling like that staying up during those AM hours. This trip wasn't gonna a holiday. I wasn't gonna be chillin' by the beach getting a tan (or a dirty sun stain if you have my skin tone, let's be real). I had my clothes and guitar packed, a loose itinerary, and plain nerves. this was a step to go somewhere else by myself, to challenge my wits and change.  i didn't know what it was, but I knew and was dying to grow from it.

And hell, 10 months later, I'm sitting here living in that country. And going to work my ass off to get to stay. so I guess I can say, that moment in time really was something, and I still carry that feeling with me now.

peace sign,
maia
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan