tss 08: summer fest start

9.11.14

Hello Sydney sun and the summer festival season! I'm not planning on going to any this year as none have really caught my eye, but I did get to catch the Newtown Festival today and it was a good 'un.
  
My friend and I were pretty tired so we didn't stay for too long but it was fun getting out and seeing it. For Newtown, it didn't seem too hipster-y but it still maintained some of its usual quirks of colour and alternative-ness. The live music was quite good including Tiger Town on the mainstage, great band though they do kinda sound like Haim. We would've stayed longer, but the heat..! But my personal highlight was Dr Karl. Wowser, did his one hour talk go by fast. I had heard of him before but I had never really knew much but but boy, he was brilliant. The whole segment was just a Q&A and audience members could ask whatever they were curious about and he would deliver his opinion. His answers were so funny and intelligent and he has such a talent for explaining concepts that would make it easier to understand and remember. His knowledge is so diverse and detailed, which was so amazing to watch - I had to keep myself in check that I didn't have my jaw hanging the whole time. He raised some really interesting points about anti-oxidants and supplements (which got this supplement addict questioning herself, oops), to global warming, electric cars.. so many things. It was also the first time in a long while that I enjoyed science and medical talk, and it reminded me that I really did enjoy all of this once upon a time and maybe I'd like to have a little of it back in my life again. Dr Karl is da bomb. I'm definitely going to tune into his radio slots now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan